What is an agile organization?
An agile organization is a company, entity, etc, that has the ability to respond quickly to changes in the market, customer needs, and business environment. At its core, the concept is all about ensuring that organizations can work flexibly, and adapt to challenges as they arise. It’s predicated on active collaboration and good links with customers.
There are a number of different methodologies used to run an agile organization, with some of the most well-known being Kanban and Scrum. Such organizations are also most frequently characterized by employing a flat organizational structure where employees are given as much latitude as possible to work independently. This is designed in such a way as to enable them to make decisions quickly.
What are the advantages of being an agile organization?
As you can imagine there are a number of key advantages to adopting a mindset that ensures your company is more efficient and better able to adapt to changing circumstances. Let’s take a look in more detail.
- Fast market entry: Agile organizations are able to deliver products and services faster than traditional organizations.
- Improved customer satisfaction: As these organizations rely on feedback loops and iterative releases, they can get high-quality customer feedback with ease.
- Higher quality products: Agility focuses greatly on testing and research, which will provide you with higher quality products and fewer defects.
- Increased employee engagement: As your approach will be focused on collaborative and empowering efforts you’ll find your employees become more engaged.
- Better risk management: Agile organizations are able to quickly respond to changes in the market or business environment which minimizes unacceptable risk.
- Greater innovation: With more engaged staff and more efficient technology adaptation your company will be able to innovate very effectively.
How do you make your organization agile?
Adopting an entire philosophy for your company may appear to be a difficult challenge but it doesn’t have to be. All you need to do is to adopt the following measures and your team will be able to demonstrate its agility in no time.
- Adopt agile methodologies: Remember we mentioned Scrum and Kanban? Start by studying these (or alternative) agile methodologies to lay the groundwork.
- Create cross-functional teams: Agile organizations need cross-functional teams that work together towards a common goal, you can start by boosting communication.
- Focus on continuous improvement: Agility is fundamentally predicated on constantly looking for ways that you, your team, and your organization as a whole can improve.
- Listen to feedback: It’s important to take customer or client feedback into account as without this process you won’t understand where you can improve.
- Invest in training and development: Education for your employees is crucial to agility as it provides new skills and also empowers them to take agile focused decisions.
- Be agile : The final and most important step is to think agile and act agile. Ensure you and your company fully embraces this mentality!
If you’re thinking about adopting the agile organization concept then you should consider investing in an HRM system. This will allow you to control the agile adoption process by assigning staff roles, controlling education and training, managing feedback, and more. Such a system will also help you with a number of other key HR processes too.
Check out the rest of the PeopleForce website to learn more about revolutionizing your HR department’s operations. Make sure to contact us if you want to learn more about HR, automation, or agile organizations. One of our experts, a leading authority on these factors and more, will get back in touch shortly.